Tuesday, June 3, 2008

the count down begins...

over the last 48 hours, i have noticed myself fluctuating from moments of quiet anticipation about my upcoming travels in israel and palestine to sudden bouts of gut-wrenching anxiety. while i have traveled to distant lands before, something about this next great adventure feels different. my purpose? perhaps. though, as is typical, my purpose is to create a cultural experience -- to experience the places and connect with the people, to listen with intention, and to soak in the vast history by contemplating all those who have walked these roads before me -- all in order to broaden my perspective and step outside of myself for awhile. it seems surreal that seven days from today i will be casting my shadow on the hallowed grounds of jerusalem and taking in the landscape that i have only before seen captured on film.

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

This is huge stuff, Jeannie. I'm a little anxious for you, too--not as in "scared," but who knows what you'll encounter?

That's what travel is all about. I'm envious!

Unknown said...

Hey Jeanne,

Good luck with your trip, hope you have a good time in Isreal and the OT. Stay safe, and bring back lots of memories to share with us.

Good Luck (hope u won't need it),

Daniel