Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Impressions of Ethiopia

Impressions of Ethiopia…

Driving from the airport to the guesthouse, I met with my first sights and sounds of Ethiopia. Only the main streets are paved with rutted and rocky dirt roadways and alleys jutting off in every direction. Traffic is thick yet maneuverable with bright blue taxis lining the roadways, the heavy odor of diesel and burning trash permeating the air. Pedestrians wander the streets, some seeming bent on their purpose, while others’ destination or purpose was unclear to me. Some areas seem far removed from anything of significance; then turning a corner I find myself in the midst of a crowded area strung with small shops and fruit stands. Burros wander the streets, seeming to be granted the right of way. I wonder if they are someone’s personal property or if they are more communal and shared. Now and again, one is burdened down with sacks that appear to weigh much more than it can bear, though it seems unphased. Shantytowns pop up amongst the more developed areas, with fencing constructed of corrugated metal and rubble strewn across the muddy yards. Clusters of uniform, tall pale yellow buildings with brightly painted rooftops provide public housing in the valleys in the distance. Further still, the landscape becomes more rugged with hilltops and mountains jutting up from the valley floor. Overall, the scenes remind me of landscapes I have seen in Guatemala and Jamaica.
_________________________

Matsi, my greeter, welcomed me with a warm smile and loads of questions. His name means “increasing perception.” He explained that his father pursued a higher education, something of an anomaly here, and he was named after his father’s endeavor of knowledge. He asked what I anticipate about my visit and my first response: delicious food. He laughed, saying “Not mosquitoes?” Apparently, many visitors to his country are leery of the discomforts they may experience, concerned they will contract malaria or have nothing to eat.

Honestly, beyond that I think I have no expectations regarding what I will find; I’m leaving myself open to this experience. I am just beginning to build background knowledge of the culture and history of this place, and I have yet to fully invest in the specifics of the program I have signed myself up for. While I am here, I want to be a strong observer and ask many questions; I want to engage with the people living here and learn of their interests, joys, struggles, and accomplishments.

1 comment:

RFK Action Front said...

Thanks for the updates Jeanne! I like your 'no expectations' approach. The few times in life I've been able to embrace the no expectations mantra have been really interesting and wonderful.